Chief Justice Roberts Discusses Recent SCOTUS Appointment and Other Courtroom Topics
John G. Roberts Jr., Chief Justice of the United States sat down in conversation with Robert A. Stein of University of Minnesota Law School to discuss the recent appointment of the Associate Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh and to provide assurance that the Court will continue to serve the greater interests of the nation.
“Our role is very clear: We are to interpret the Constitution and laws of the United States, and to ensure that the political branches act within them,” Chief Justice Roberts said. “That job obviously requires independence from the political branches. The story of the Supreme Court would be very different without that sort of independence.”
The interview continued with Chief Justice Roberts answering questions from students on a number of other subjects, including cameras in the courtroom, his female colleagues, and having a new member of the court.
Read more here.
- For almost 50 years, the Boskey Motion has allowed ALI to honor its bicameral voting requirements without excessive… https://t.co/uj9lo3ndRa@AmLawInstJan 16
- Council Meetings are an important time for the Institute. Learn more about Council and the different stages of the… https://t.co/hEeEb4pdSn@AmLawInstJan 15
- This week is all about prep for our January Council meeting. The primary functions of ALI’s Council include determi… https://t.co/rYmFuMhtM3@AmLawInstJan 14
- #TBT to last year’s January Council Meeting. ALI Council will meet next week to review drafts from six current proj… https://t.co/UEqBvNAdsG@AmLawInstJan 10
- The first issue of The ALI Reporter, our membership newsletter, was published in October 1978. Since then the publi… https://t.co/7Eou3Ycbtw@AmLawInstJan 8