Chief Justice Roberts Discusses Recent SCOTUS Appointment and Other Courtroom Topics
John G. Roberts Jr., Chief Justice of the United States sat down in conversation with Robert A. Stein of University of Minnesota Law School to discuss the recent appointment of the Associate Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh and to provide assurance that the Court will continue to serve the greater interests of the nation.
“Our role is very clear: We are to interpret the Constitution and laws of the United States, and to ensure that the political branches act within them,” Chief Justice Roberts said. “That job obviously requires independence from the political branches. The story of the Supreme Court would be very different without that sort of independence.”
The interview continued with Chief Justice Roberts answering questions from students on a number of other subjects, including cameras in the courtroom, his female colleagues, and having a new member of the court.
Read more here.
- ALI member Michael Dreeben was recently interviewed in piece for @lawdotcom about his transition to partner at… https://t.co/Y9EwuS3lY2@AmLawInstFeb 14
- ALI member Catharine A. MacKinnon of @UMichLaw recently delivered the McCorkle Lecture on “The First Amendment: An… https://t.co/bZg4kXlvpb@AmLawInstFeb 13
- On Jan. 29, the U.S. Department of Justice issued a press release announcing the first meeting of a White House tas… https://t.co/wI40cG7N0M@AmLawInstFeb 10
- Tune in Feb. 12 to watch ALI member and @UCILaw professor @rickhasen discuss his new book – Election Meltdown. Prof… https://t.co/JieN2coN0w@AmLawInstFeb 7
- Ronald Mann of @ColumbiaLaw shares his thoughts on “Argument Analysis: Justices Debate Ability of Business That Did… https://t.co/JbXW2ABsAG@AmLawInstFeb 5