Paul Stephan Appointed Special Counsel to Pentagon General Counsel
Paul B. Stephan of UVA Law has been appointed special counsel to the general counsel of the U.S. Department of Defense.
General Counsel Paul C. Ney Jr. serves as chief legal officer for the Pentagon and director of the Defense Legal Services Agency, which provides legal advice and services for the defense agencies, field activities, and other organizations. Professor Stephan’s role will be to assist Mr. Ney and the general counsel’s office however he can. During his time in this role he will be on leave from UVA Law for one year.
“As a legal academic, I have lived a ridiculously rewarding life, surrounded by students and colleagues who inspire me and living in a part of the country that I truly love,” said Professor Stephan, who accepted the appointment before the COVID-19 pandemic. “I feel an obligation to give something back.”
Professor Stephan is an expert on international business, international dispute resolution and comparative law, with an emphasis on Soviet and post-Soviet legal systems. He served as the Coordinating Reporter for Restatement of the Law Fourth, Foreign Relations Law of the United States and Reporter for Restatement of the Law Fourth, Foreign Relations Law – Jurisdiction.
Learn more here.
- Registration is open for the Tues. 10/27 @ALI_CLE webcast “Children and the Law: Protecting the Vulnerable in a Tim… https://t.co/Y2cBkn7CsZ@AmLawInstOct 24
- . @ALI_CLE is offering a 10/27 webcast on “Children and the Law: Protecting the Vulnerable in a Time of Crisis," wit… https://t.co/q4D8gNA8LT@AmLawInstOct 23
- #ICYMI – ALI has made Part I, Early In-Person Voting and Open Absentee Voting, of Principles of Election Administra… https://t.co/u5tTQp9ZHD@AmLawInstOct 21
- The fall edition of 'The ALI Reporter' is now available. Read the full issue: https://t.co/bUIv3xaV0Vhttps://t.co/MAl3KDRuyo@AmLawInstOct 20
- Tune in tonight @ 7pm EST for this important conversation featuring ALI members @Nedfoley and @RosenJeffrey in conv… https://t.co/pzi2fQxTPE@AmLawInstOct 19