Angela Davis Named 2021 Charlotte E. Ray Award Winner
Angela J. Davis of American University Washington College of Law has been named the recipient of the 33rd Annual Charlotte E. Ray Award from the Greater Washington Area Chapter (GWAC) of the Women Lawyers Division of the National Bar Association.
Since 1989, the GWAC and the GWAC Foundation have recognized an outstanding African-American woman from the local bar in honor of Charlotte E. Ray, the first woman admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the first African-American woman certified as a lawyer in the United States. In keeping with the GWAC mission and the trailblazing spirit of Charlotte E. Ray, awardees demonstrate a strong commitment to community involvement, mentorship, advocacy, and excellence in the Metropolitan Washington community.
Professor Davis is an expert in criminal law and procedure with a specific focus on prosecutorial power and racism in the criminal justice system. She previously served as director of the D.C. Public Defender Service, where she began as a staff attorney representing indigent juveniles and adults. She also served as executive director of the National Rainbow Coalition and was as a law clerk for Theodore R. Newman, former Chief Judge of the D.C. Court of Appeals.
Learn more here.
- Christopher M. Newman @georgemasonlaw explains addressing bailment law in Restatement of the Law Fourth, Property,… https://t.co/CYa66j8Cgr@AmLawInstApr 15
- President Biden has announced his intent to nominate ALI member Christopher Schroeder for Assistant Attorney Genera… https://t.co/JDpSucT1zq@AmLawInstApr 15
- President Biden has announced his intent to nominate ALI member Anne Milgram for Administrator of the Drug Enforcem… https://t.co/r3dAE62EOI@AmLawInstApr 14
- Henry E. Smith and John C.P. Goldberg @Harvard_Law discuss the connection property torts has to both Restatements o… https://t.co/7rqHgpADZl@AmLawInstApr 12
- Margaret Marshall @ChoateLLP, ALI Council Emeritus and former Mass. Supreme Judicial Court chief justice, to receiv… https://t.co/rEHuMwSYpg@AmLawInstApr 10