Data Law in a Global Digital Economy Symposium
NYU Law Review, the Guarini Institute for Global Legal Studies and the Institute for International Law and Justice at NYU School of Law recently held a symposium entitled “Data Law in a Global Economy.” The symposium examined how law does, should, or can affect data ownership, concentration, and control in a global digital economy.
The event sought to reconstruct the law of data through foundational legal concepts such as contract, torts, property, trusts/fiduciary law, antitrust, and tax, while drawing on established approaches in intellectual property law and information privacy law. The symposium focused mainly on current legal practices and future directions in data contracting and liability, data trusts, data portability and agglomeration, ownership and property rights of data, and the export of competing models of data law. The symposium was help as part of a project to re-conceptualize data law and regulation in the global digital economy.
ALI participants at the event included:
Richard R.W. Brooks – NYU School of Law, Adviser to Restatement of the Law Fourth, Property
Rochelle C. Dreyfuss – NYU School of Law, Adviser to Restatement of the Law Third, Conflict of Laws
Jeanne C. Fromer – NYU School of Law, Adviser to Restatement of the Law, Copyright
Florencia Marotta-Wurgler (and Kevin Davis) – NYU School of Law, Reporter for Restatement of the Law, Consumer Contracts
Jason M. Schultz – NYU School of Law
Paul M. Schwartz – UC Berkeley School of Law, Reporter for Principles of the Law, Data Privacy
Christopher Sprigman – NYU School of Law, Reporter for Restatement of the Law, Copyright
Katrina Wyman – NUY School of Law, Adviser to Restatement of the Law Fourth, Property
Read more about the event here.
- Don't miss this important conversation with ALI member @rickhasen, today @ 5pm ET. https://t.co/TNvW79KnS0@AmLawInstJan 19
- ALI member @DanielSolove of @gwlaw has written “The Eyemonger,” a newly illustrated children’s book that discusses… https://t.co/vX0iK1MoYK@AmLawInstJan 15
- #ICYMI – "The U.S. Presidency: Looking Forward," is now available on #ReasonablySpeaking. In this timely episode sc… https://t.co/jK7Q4mtF29@AmLawInstJan 15
- Now on #ReasonablySpeaking, "The U.S. Presidency: Looking Forward." From the new series, #BeyondCOVID, jointly prod… https://t.co/XeLJWgbWiS@AmLawInstJan 14
- Make sure to check out this special edition honoring ALI Council member Diane P. Wood of the U.S. Court of Appeals… https://t.co/0gs41NHlwC@AmLawInstJan 13