Dreeben Presents 100th Oral Argument Before SCOTUS
ALI member Michael R. Dreeben of the U.S. Department of Justice has recently presented his one-hundredth oral argument before the Supreme Court of the United States. He is the second person to reach this marker in the history of the Court.
After the conclusion of all oral arguments in McDonnell v. United States, Mr. Dreeben was asked to return to the lectern by Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., who took a moment to acknowledge this rare achievement.
“Our records reflect that this was your one-hundredth oral argument before the Court. You are the second person to reach that rare milestone this century,” Chief Justice Roberts said.
“I distinctly recall your first argument in January of 1989,” Chief Justice Roberts continued. “Throughout your career, you have consistently advocated positions on behalf of the United States in an exemplary manner. On behalf of the Court, I extend to you our appreciation for the many years of advocacy and dedicated service during your tenure in the Solicitor General’s Office and as an officer of this Court.
“We look forward to hearing from you many more times.”
Mark Walsh of SCOTUSBlog reported that "Mr. Dreeben’s first argument was in United States v. Halper, a Medicare fraud case. His adversary in that first argument was a lawyer who defended the judgment below at the invitation of the Court. His name was John G. Roberts, Jr."
Mr. Dreeben serves on the Members Consultative Group for three of ALI's projects: Principles of the Law, Police Investigations, Principles of the Law, Government Ethics, and Model Penal Code: Sentencing.
- Charitable Nonprofits project is in session. Project participants discuss solicitation, restrictions on charitable… https://t.co/BxZCnnarZu@AmLawInstSep 21
- Watch “ALI’s Drafting Process Educating the Next Generation of Lawyers” @jill_horwitz@UCLA_Lawhttps://t.co/Qn3udmOcQp@AmLawInstSep 20
- A quote from our 1st Director, William Draper Lewis: “The preparation of an adequate Restatement of any Subject is… https://t.co/yhc5syWNMO@AmLawInstSep 20
- Read "Decarceration Strategies: How 5 States Achieved Substantial Prison Population Reductions" on The ALI Adviser https://t.co/J0x0h6jiXt@AmLawInstSep 20
- As we continue our project meetings this fall we want to share some information about the important work that takes… https://t.co/7faFKELh4T@AmLawInstSep 19