Jed Rakoff on ‘Science and the Gavel’
Jed S. Rakoff of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York was recently a guest on Common Law, a UVA Law podcast hosted by Risa L. Goluboff and Leslie Carolyn Kendrick.
In the episode, entitled “Science and the Gavel,” Judge Rakoff explains many of the challenges and the growing opportunities for the use of science in the courtroom, and its particular effect on judges.
Judge Rakoff, who oversaw In Re Ephedra Products Liability Litigation in 2005 talks about the learning curve for judges, their frequent reluctance to decide a case based on science, and his initial experience reviewing a complex scientific debate.
Read more and listen to the full episode here.
- In remembrance of the late John Paul Stevens – Watch Justice Stevens in conversation with his former clerk, and ALI… https://t.co/YsRgWgBW5u@AmLawInstJul 19
- In our most recent episode of #ReasonablySpeaking, former U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement @Kirkland_Ellis refle… https://t.co/M0FgyYq3kR@AmLawInstJul 19
- Congratulations to ALI member Dr. Heath P. Tarbert on beginning his term as 14th Chairman of @CFTC. Learn more:… https://t.co/edEQRIVUG4@AmLawInstJul 18
- Out now: Part II of “May It Please the Court” with Paul Clement. Check out Part I with Nicole Saharsky, Seth Waxman… https://t.co/S3C9EHGvmj@AmLawInstJul 18
- ALI Council member Jeffrey Sutton was recently featured on @Gladwell’s podcast Revisionist History. Judge Sutton di… https://t.co/VUNPWHwSYO@AmLawInstJul 18