Jed Rakoff on ‘Science and the Gavel’
Jed S. Rakoff of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York was recently a guest on Common Law, a UVA Law podcast hosted by Risa L. Goluboff and Leslie Carolyn Kendrick.
In the episode, entitled “Science and the Gavel,” Judge Rakoff explains many of the challenges and the growing opportunities for the use of science in the courtroom, and its particular effect on judges.
Judge Rakoff, who oversaw In Re Ephedra Products Liability Litigation in 2005 talks about the learning curve for judges, their frequent reluctance to decide a case based on science, and his initial experience reviewing a complex scientific debate.
Read more and listen to the full episode here.
- ALI member Mark Killenbeck of @UARKLaw recently delivered a talk entitled “Church and State,” where he outlined the… https://t.co/HcmCqqt4Bh@AmLawInstSep 18
- Tomorrow’s Restatement project meeting on the Law of American Indians will take place at @nyulaw. Topics up for dis… https://t.co/z5052rEoN2@AmLawInstSep 18
- . @RosenJeffrey of @ConstitutionCtr introduces Justice Neil Gorsuch to discuss “A Republic, If You Can Keep It”… https://t.co/WmTx3wKtgW@AmLawInstSep 17
- Project season is in full swing at the Institute. Last week's project meetings involved discussions on two Principl… https://t.co/XWkurbgVnw@AmLawInstSep 17
- Today, the U.S. Constitution is 232 years old. #ConstitutionDay commemorates the formation & signing of the U.S. Co… https://t.co/ZdGnbxFD6O@AmLawInstSep 17