Jed Rakoff on ‘Science and the Gavel’
Jed S. Rakoff of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York was recently a guest on Common Law, a UVA Law podcast hosted by Risa L. Goluboff and Leslie Carolyn Kendrick.
In the episode, entitled “Science and the Gavel,” Judge Rakoff explains many of the challenges and the growing opportunities for the use of science in the courtroom, and its particular effect on judges.
Judge Rakoff, who oversaw In Re Ephedra Products Liability Litigation in 2005 talks about the learning curve for judges, their frequent reluctance to decide a case based on science, and his initial experience reviewing a complex scientific debate.
Read more and listen to the full episode here.
- In this video, project Reporters Matthew Fletcher @MSULaw ( @ILPCTurtleTalk) and Kaighn Smith Jr. @DrummondWoodsum p… https://t.co/8yvxwpu24O@AmLawInstMay 22
- “Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation” brings together judges and court adm… https://t.co/TfpRlmYKcx@AmLawInstMay 21
- Coming soon to #ReasonablySpeaking – "Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation.… https://t.co/V94sWaem6L@AmLawInstMay 20
- Congratulations to ALI member A. Benjamin Spencer ( @PROFSPENCER) of @UVALaw on being named the new dean of… https://t.co/326BOQhgc6@AmLawInstMay 20
- . @DukeLaw@DeanKerryAbrams shares her thoughts on how students assisted in the switch to remote learning on… https://t.co/de6DRzlzYl@AmLawInstMay 20