Jon Newman to Receive 2016 Devitt Award
Jon O. Newman of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit will be presented with the 32nd annual Edward J. Devitt Distinguished Service to Justice Award from the Dwight D. Opperman Foundation on December 8. Named for the highly regarded late Edward J. Devitt, the longtime chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, the Devitt Award is the highest honor bestowed upon a U.S. Article III federal judge, and is much like the Nobel Prize of the American judiciary.
Judge Newman said, “It is an overwhelming honor to have been selected to receive the Devitt Award. I am grateful to Justice Kagan, the selection committee, and to the late Dwight Opperman, an iconic figure in the American legal community who, through his foundation, continues to honor excellence in the federal judiciary.”
The award was established in 1982 by Dwight D. Opperman to honor a respected member of the federal bench, one who possessed a distinguished lifelong career characterized by decisions that, through his/her wisdom, humanity and commitment to the rule of law, make clear that bench, bar and community alike would willingly entrust that judge with the most complex cases of the most far-reaching importance.
- For almost 50 years, the Boskey Motion has allowed ALI to honor its bicameral voting requirements without excessive… https://t.co/uj9lo3ndRa@AmLawInstJan 16
- Council Meetings are an important time for the Institute. Learn more about Council and the different stages of the… https://t.co/hEeEb4pdSn@AmLawInstJan 15
- This week is all about prep for our January Council meeting. The primary functions of ALI’s Council include determi… https://t.co/rYmFuMhtM3@AmLawInstJan 14
- #TBT to last year’s January Council Meeting. ALI Council will meet next week to review drafts from six current proj… https://t.co/UEqBvNAdsG@AmLawInstJan 10
- The first issue of The ALI Reporter, our membership newsletter, was published in October 1978. Since then the publi… https://t.co/7Eou3Ycbtw@AmLawInstJan 8