“The Lamps of History” by Michael Sandler
Michael D. Sandler of Sandler Arbitration & Mediation LLC has written The Lamps of History, a collection of poems exploring our nuanced and often-complicated relationship with the past.
The Lamps of History wrestles with the ambiguities--and choices--between connection/alienation, renewal/decay, and faith/doubt. Its poems explore dimming family histories and our stance toward them, the frayed bonds with our grandparents' traditions and beliefs, and distances in our current relationships.
There are also poems on our civic estrangements: an ode to a papaya that spills into America's tribal conflict; elegies to the environment (one on disappearing phytoplankton, another on forests ravaged by pine beetles); a ghazal to a semi-automatic weapon; and a failed recipe for noodle pudding.
Michael Sandler's writing marshals wit and wordplay in a deft handling of language and form. The poetry navigates the crosscurrents of tradition and post-modernism, steering somewhat closer to the former.
- Norman M. Powell of @YoungConaway and Jonathan C. Lipson of @TempleLaw co-authored “Contracting COVID: Private Orde… https://t.co/pg34ExVGDD@AmLawInstMay 12
- Cynthia Nance of @UARKLaw has been awarded the 2021 Hancher-Finkbine Alumni Medallion by @uiowa, recognizing those… https://t.co/HgtV8PKx20@AmLawInstMay 11
- . @abcnews spoke to Tom Baker of @pennlaw on his work tracking insurance claims arising out of the pandemic in feder… https://t.co/rr8BfkXcMK@AmLawInstMay 10
- Congratulations to ALI member Mary J. Davis, who this year became permanent dean of @ukcollegeoflaw, the first woma… https://t.co/7yMkQrzHPF@AmLawInstMay 7
- A feature in @NewYorker highlights @BryanAGarner’s love of and works on the English language. Select works from the… https://t.co/vLq0z4gPeK@AmLawInstMay 6