The new Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance: a primer
Reprinted with permission from the Daily Journal. ©2019 Daily Journal Corporation. All rights reserved. This article includes citations to Proposed Final Draft language of the Restatement that has been updated. The Official Text of the Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance is available to purchase now.
Restatements of the Law have been a feature of the legal landscape for nearly 100 years. Issued by the American Law Institute, they influence and shape the law. The Institute’s members include U.S. Supreme Court justices, judges of the highest courts of most states, law school deans, professors, and private practitioners. Putting it simply, when the institute speaks, courts and others tend to listen.
Now, for the first time, the institute has spoken on the subject of liability insurance. It has published the Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance. This Restatement has proven to be controversial, both in its drafting process and since its final approval. Yet, it was not adopted lightly. It was the subject of seven institute annual meetings and a lengthy back-and-forth process involving more than 160 lawyers representing insurers, insureds, others. This process produced 29 drafts presented formally in institute meetings. Therefore, this Restatement may have a significant impact on the law – exactly what it is intended to do.
- #TBT to last spring's Policing Principles project meeting with Reporter Barry Friedman, and project participants Sh… https://t.co/9yokqfxjEL@AmLawInstAug 22
- Listen now to “American Indian Law: When Two Sovereigns Collide” on #ReasonablySpeaking. In this episode Indian Law… https://t.co/E7PbjjsNqO@AmLawInstAug 21
- On August 19, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB 392 into law, enacting one of the strongest use-of-force l… https://t.co/d1q259bKDO@AmLawInstAug 21
- ALI member and former Solicitor General Michael Dreeben responds to a series of @SCOTUSblog tributes honoring his d… https://t.co/zFTpPGoiyC@AmLawInstAug 20
- ALI Director Richard L. Revesz addresses the role of Restatements in the Summer Edition of The ALI Reporter. Read… https://t.co/SEjnFVbx7X@AmLawInstAug 20