Principles for a Data Economy at ELI’s Annual Conference
The European Law Institute (ELI) recently held its 2018 Annual Conference and General Assembly in Riga, Latvia.
The agenda for this year’s conference included a panel on Principles for a Data Economy, a joint project between ALI and ELI that will study, identify, and collate the existing and potential legal rules applicable to transactions in data as an asset and as a tradeable item and assess the “fit” of those rules with these transactions.
The project discussion featured Reporter Neil B. Cohen of Brooklyn Law School, Steven O. Weise of Proskauer Rose, and ELI President Christiane Wendehorst of the University of Vienna.
Because of the innovative, joint approach of this project, the structure of the project will vary somewhat from the traditional ALI structure. The project aims to develop a set of transnational Principles to provide guidance to parties in the data economy, as well as to courts and legislators worldwide. Because data does not have a “location,” the goal is to have a common set of Principles that would apply wherever the parties happen to be.
The ELI Annual Conference also featured a keynote speech from former ALI Director Lance Liebman.
View more information and agenda here.
- ALI member Laura E. Gómez of @UCLA_Law has written a new book, “Inventing Latinos: A New Story of American Racism.”… https://t.co/BWWHwVW5M2@AmLawInstJul 31
- #FBF to “Coping with COVID: Legal Services Organizations on the Frontlines” on #ReasonablySpeaking. @NLSLA Executiv… https://t.co/iPVZQjgDoY@AmLawInstJul 31
- Read now: A review and recommendation for ALI member Judge Raymond M. Kethledge’s book "Lead Yourself First" (co-au… https://t.co/cWIDCYfEnL@AmLawInstJul 30
- Coming soon: The latest episode of #ReasonablySpeaking produced jointly by @BolchJudicial of @DukeLaw brings togeth… https://t.co/n1kEuVVjXV@AmLawInstJul 29
- ALI member John G. Browning of @SpencerFane was recently honored by @TXBarCollege with the Patrick A. Nester Outsta… https://t.co/a42awZMDj7@AmLawInstJul 29