Principles for a Data Economy at ELI’s Annual Conference
The European Law Institute (ELI) recently held its 2018 Annual Conference and General Assembly in Riga, Latvia.
The agenda for this year’s conference included a panel on Principles for a Data Economy, a joint project between ALI and ELI that will study, identify, and collate the existing and potential legal rules applicable to transactions in data as an asset and as a tradeable item and assess the “fit” of those rules with these transactions.
The project discussion featured Reporter Neil B. Cohen of Brooklyn Law School, Steven O. Weise of Proskauer Rose, and ELI President Christiane Wendehorst of the University of Vienna.
Because of the innovative, joint approach of this project, the structure of the project will vary somewhat from the traditional ALI structure. The project aims to develop a set of transnational Principles to provide guidance to parties in the data economy, as well as to courts and legislators worldwide. Because data does not have a “location,” the goal is to have a common set of Principles that would apply wherever the parties happen to be.
The ELI Annual Conference also featured a keynote speech from former ALI Director Lance Liebman.
View more information and agenda here.
- ALI Council's Jan. meeting finishes today. In order for any portion of a project draft to be fully approved and the… https://t.co/D18iI9TSd1@AmLawInstJan 21
- In one week, ALI member Kristin Nicole Henning @GeorgetownLaw will discuss her book 'The Rage of Innocence: How Ame… https://t.co/ZdW9Inv0Sa@AmLawInstJan 21
- Patricia Lee Refo @SWLawNews was awarded the Medal of Honor from @worldjurist for her work promoting the rule of la… https://t.co/GIReq0oFJH@AmLawInstJan 21
- Today's ALI Council meeting includes project discussions on Model Penal Code: Sexual Assault, Policing, Property,… https://t.co/usrEXqSOHJ@AmLawInstJan 20
- M. Elizabeth Magill has been nominated as the ninth president of @penn. A full vote on Magill’s nomination will tak… https://t.co/ZFtjJhNPAp@AmLawInstJan 20