Reshaping Policing for the 21st Century
Policing Principles Reporter Barry Friedman of NYU School of Law will be discussing “Reshaping Policing for the 21st Century” at the National Constitution Center on Tuesday, February 21, at 6:30 p.m. The town hall program will be moderated by ALI member Jeffrey Rosen, president and CEO of the National Constitution Center.
Professor Friedman will explore the national conversation around the changing role of police — from neighborhood beat cops to NSA analysts. He will be available to sign copies of his book, Unwarranted: Policing Without Permission, after the event.
From the publisher:
Unwarranted tells the stories of ordinary people whose lives were torn apart by policing—by the methods of cops on the beat and those of the FBI and NSA. Driven by technology, policing has changed dramatically. Once, cops sought out bad guys; today, increasingly militarized forces conduct wide surveillance of all of us. Friedman captures the eerie new environment in which CCTV, location tracking, and predictive policing have made suspects of us all, while proliferating SWAT teams and increased use of force have put everyone’s property and lives at risk. Policing falls particularly heavily on minority communities and the poor, but as Unwarranted makes clear, the effects of policing are much broader still. Policing is everyone’s problem.
To purchase tickets for the event, visit The National Constitution Center’s website.
- The Supreme Court’s Last 30 Years of Federal Indian Law: Looking for Equilibrium or Supremacy? by Alexander Skibine… https://t.co/A9b1754Tuo@AmLawInstDec 12
- Dean Risa Goluboff Wins American Society for Legal History Book Award https://t.co/urk6ghsIyW@AmLawInstDec 5
- Participants discussing -What is a student's right of personal expression in public school? Buss @UChicagoLaw Scott… https://t.co/fqrFJxGZbA@AmLawInstDec 1
- Children Reporter @SetonHallLaw Maldonado discusses de facto parent and third-party access to a child with project… https://t.co/tsQjYeJwBq@AmLawInstDec 1
- 2018 ABF Fellows Awards Honorees: Carrie Menkel-Meadow and Amelia Boss @UCILaw@DrexelKlinehttps://t.co/0U1wwtTP3Q@AmLawInstNov 30