'Tools and Weapons' by Brad Smith
President and Chief Legal Officer of Microsoft Bradford L. Smith has written a new book, Tools and Weapons: The Promise and Peril of the Digital Age, co-authored with Director of Executive Communications for Microsoft Carol Ann Brown.
The book focuses on the tech industry’s increasing level of advancement while providing insight from the experts on how to manage the seemingly limitless potential and subsequent rising level of risk as we digitize more and more aspects of our daily lives.
From the publisher,
“In Tools and Weapons, Brad Smith and Carol Ann Browne bring us a captivating narrative from the cockpit of one of the world's largest and most powerful tech companies as it finds itself in the middle of some of the thorniest emerging issues of our time. These are challenges that come with no preexisting playbook, including privacy, cybercrime and cyberwar, social media, the moral conundrums of artificial intelligence, big tech's relationship to inequality, and the challenges for democracy, far and near. While in no way a self-glorifying "Microsoft memoir," the book pulls back the curtain remarkably wide onto some of the company's most crucial recent decision points as it strives to protect the hopes technology offers against the very real threats it also presents. There are huge ramifications for communities and countries, and Brad Smith provides a thoughtful and urgent contribution to that effort.”
Mr. Smith will be participating in a series of talks following the official publication of the book including a conversation hosted by the Policing Project at NYU School of Law with NYU Law professor and ALI Policing Principles Reporter Barry Friedman, and an event at The New School where he will participate in a discussion with author, comedian, and host of the Daily Show, Trevor Noah.
Read more about the book here.
- In this video, project Reporters Matthew Fletcher @MSULaw ( @ILPCTurtleTalk) and Kaighn Smith Jr. @DrummondWoodsum p… https://t.co/8yvxwpu24O@AmLawInstMay 22
- “Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation” brings together judges and court adm… https://t.co/TfpRlmYKcx@AmLawInstMay 21
- Coming soon to #ReasonablySpeaking – "Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation.… https://t.co/V94sWaem6L@AmLawInstMay 20
- Congratulations to ALI member A. Benjamin Spencer ( @PROFSPENCER) of @UVALaw on being named the new dean of… https://t.co/326BOQhgc6@AmLawInstMay 20
- . @DukeLaw@DeanKerryAbrams shares her thoughts on how students assisted in the switch to remote learning on… https://t.co/de6DRzlzYl@AmLawInstMay 20