Richard M. Gergel of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina has published a new book, Unexampled Courage: The Blinding of Sgt. Isaac Woodard and the Awakening of President Harry S. Truman and Judge J. Waties Waring. This prolific work tells the inspirational account of Sergeant Isaac Woodard, a returning, decorated African American veteran who was forcibly removed from a Greyhound bus in Batesburg, South Carolina, and beaten and blinded while in custody.
Judge Gergel’s Unexampled Courage details the impact of the blinding of Sergeant Woodard on the racial awakening of President Truman and Judge J. Waties Waring, and traces their influential roles in changing the course of America’s civil rights history.
Learn more here.
- President Biden has announced his intent to nominate ALI member Christopher Schroeder for Assistant Attorney Genera… https://t.co/JDpSucT1zq@AmLawInstApr 15
- President Biden has announced his intent to nominate ALI member Anne Milgram for Administrator of the Drug Enforcem… https://t.co/r3dAE62EOI@AmLawInstApr 14
- Henry E. Smith and John C.P. Goldberg @Harvard_Law discuss the connection property torts has to both Restatements o… https://t.co/7rqHgpADZl@AmLawInstApr 12
- Margaret Marshall @ChoateLLP, ALI Council Emeritus and former Mass. Supreme Judicial Court chief justice, to receiv… https://t.co/rEHuMwSYpg@AmLawInstApr 10
- ALI Council member Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar of the California Supreme Court will join a panel discussion with ALI… https://t.co/agpeeIMSzL@AmLawInstApr 9