Officers and Council
With the exception of its Director and Deputy Director, the Institute's officers are volunteers. All officers are elected by the Council.
- President - David F. Levi - Duke University School of Law, Durham, NC
- Chair of the Council - Roberta Cooper Ramo - Modrall Sperling, Albuquerque, NM
- 1st Vice President - Douglas Laycock - University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, VA
- 2nd Vice President - Lee H. Rosenthal - U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston, TX
- Treasurer - Wallace B. Jefferson - Alexander Dubose Jefferson & Townsend LLP, Austin, TX
- Secretary - Paul L. Friedman - U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Washington, DC
- Director - Richard L. Revesz - New York University School of Law, New York, NY
- Deputy Director - Stephanie A. Middleton - The American Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA
Biographies for each of our officers may be viewed by clicking on the list below.
The Institute is governed by its Council, a volunteer board of directors that oversees the management of ALI's business and affairs. Made up of of no fewer than 42 and no more than 65 members, the Council consists of lawyers, judges, and academics, and reflects a broad range of specialties and experiences.
Council members are elected from the Institute membership for terms of five years. The Council ordinarily meets in January, May, and October.
View the list of Council members