Clerks at 100 Academic Symposium
The National Constitution Center and The George Washington Law Review hosted a free public symposium on Oct. 4 on the institution of Supreme Court clerkships.
The event was broken down into three topics, “Clerkship Experiences,” “Life After Clerking,” and “Clerkships and the Constitution,” and featured a number of ALI members speaking on their experiences clerking for U.S. Supreme Court justices, past and present.
The following members were in attendance:
Cheryl Ann Krause of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (Justice Kennedy), Leondra R. Kruger of the California Supreme Court (Justice Stevens), Kannon K. Shanmugam of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison (Justice Scalia), Jeffrey S. Sutton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (Justice Scalia), Diane P. Wood of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Justice Blackmun), and President and CEO of the National Constitution Center Jeffrey Rosen who moderated the event.
Judge Wood and Judge Sutton were also featured on an episode of We the People, a podcast from the National Constitution center, in coversation with Mr. Rosen, during which they shared how their specific clerkship experiences affected them personally and professionally and shaped their methods of interpreting the Constitution.
View the full list of participants here.
Watch a full video of the symposium below (Courtesy of the National Constitution Center).
- #SCOTUS cites Restatement Second of Judgments in Pereida v. Wilkins, holding that “certain nonpermanent aliens seek… https://t.co/WQMK0pDtej@AmLawInstMar 5
- Written in collaboration with the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, ALI member @profamandatyler of @BerkeleyLaw has… https://t.co/0ESXqn5Llx@AmLawInstMar 4
- Learn more about our joint project with @ELI_Secretariat, Principles for a Data Economy, on the newly launched webs… https://t.co/qiRCkj6iCL@AmLawInstMar 4
- This Friday, March 5, the @bwln_nyu is hosting its 2021 symposium on Politics, Power, and Women’s Leadership. The e… https://t.co/ZiocMnsyC8@AmLawInstMar 4
- ALI member @brandonlgarrett of @DukeLaw has written “Autopsy of a Crime Lab: Exposing the Flaws in Forensics.” The… https://t.co/VD0Lq4LNUi@AmLawInstMar 3