ALI Members Contribute to Dædalus “Access to Justice”
“Access to Justice,” the most recent and the first open-access issue of Dædalus,is now available. Founded in 1955, Dædalusis a quarterly journal from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences which embodies the spirit of its ancient Greek namesake by pushing boundaries, exploring uncharted areas of knowledge and examining issues of public importance.
The issue, co-edited by former ALI Director Lance M. Liebman of Columbia Law School, features a collection of twenty-four essays that “examine the national crisis in civil legal services facing poor and low-income Americans: from the challenges of providing quality legal assistance to more people, to the social and economic costs of an often unresponsive legal system, to the opportunities for improvement offered by new technologies, professional innovations, and fresh ways of thinking about the crisis.”
All essays in the Winter 2019 issue of Dædalus are freely accessible. The Introduction was authored by ALI member John G. Levi of Sidley Austin and David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group, ALI's 2018 Annual Meeting dinner speaker.
The following members contributed articles to the publication:
ALI President David F. Levi with co-authors Dana Remus and Abigail Frisch – Reclaiming the Role of Lawyers as Community Connectors
Tonya L. Brito – The Right to Civil Counsel
Kenneth C. Frazier – Why Big Business Should Support Legal Aid
Gillian K. Hadfield – More Markets, More Justice
Nathan L. Hecht – The Twilight Zone
James J. Sandman – The Role of the Legal Services Corporation in Improving Access to Justice
Colleen F. Shanahan with co-author Anna E. Carpenter – Simplified Courts Can’t Solve Inequality
Read the Law360 article highlighting some of the commentaries featured in this issue (subscription required).
- Read “Legal and Political Responses to Campus Sexual Assault” by Michele Landis Dauber and Megan Warner… https://t.co/e6c98VfkeH@AmLawInstJul 23
- Congratulations to all of our newly elected members. We are thrilled to welcome this new group who will bring their… https://t.co/qNVPoJ2jn4@AmLawInstJul 23
- Congratulations to all of our newly elected members. We are thrilled to welcome this new group who will bring their… https://t.co/lJoE2IDFU1@AmLawInstJul 22
- In remembrance of the late John Paul Stevens – Watch Justice Stevens in conversation with his former clerk, and ALI… https://t.co/YsRgWgBW5u@AmLawInstJul 19
- In our most recent episode of #ReasonablySpeaking, former U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement @Kirkland_Ellis refle… https://t.co/M0FgyYq3kR@AmLawInstJul 19