Lance Liebman Honored for His Service to Columbia Law School
Lance Liebman, professor and former dean at Columbia Law School was honored with a retirement luncheon on April 25. Friends, family, former students, the faculty, and senior administrators gathered to honor Professor Liebman and his many contributions to the law school over the course of his 28 year- long career.
Several fellow ALI members, including current Columbia Law School Dean Gillian Lester and Gerard E. Lynch of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, shared their thoughts on working with Professor Liebman over the years and reflected on his many personal and professional accomplishments.
A member of ALI for over 40 years, Professor Liebman was Director of the Institute from 1999 to 2014, and currently serves as an ALI council member. During the luncheon Judge Lynch encouraged the audience to watch the video tribute [see below] ALI produced when Professor Liebman stepped down as director.
Under his leadership, ALI produced and published new Restatements in the areas of agency, property, trusts, restitution and unjust enrichment, torts, and employment law. “The expert scholars he recruited to serve as reporters for these projects testified with virtual unanimity. . . to Lance’s judgment, acuity, and persistence in pushing these projects to completion,” Judge Lynch said.
- In remembrance of the late John Paul Stevens – Watch Justice Stevens in conversation with his former clerk, and ALI… https://t.co/YsRgWgBW5u@AmLawInstJul 19
- In our most recent episode of #ReasonablySpeaking, former U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement @Kirkland_Ellis refle… https://t.co/M0FgyYq3kR@AmLawInstJul 19
- Congratulations to ALI member Dr. Heath P. Tarbert on beginning his term as 14th Chairman of @CFTC. Learn more:… https://t.co/edEQRIVUG4@AmLawInstJul 18
- Out now: Part II of “May It Please the Court” with Paul Clement. Check out Part I with Nicole Saharsky, Seth Waxman… https://t.co/S3C9EHGvmj@AmLawInstJul 18
- ALI Council member Jeffrey Sutton was recently featured on @Gladwell’s podcast Revisionist History. Judge Sutton di… https://t.co/VUNPWHwSYO@AmLawInstJul 18