Lance Liebman Honored for His Service to Columbia Law School
Lance Liebman, professor and former dean at Columbia Law School was honored with a retirement luncheon on April 25. Friends, family, former students, the faculty, and senior administrators gathered to honor Professor Liebman and his many contributions to the law school over the course of his 28 year- long career.
Several fellow ALI members, including current Columbia Law School Dean Gillian Lester and Gerard E. Lynch of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, shared their thoughts on working with Professor Liebman over the years and reflected on his many personal and professional accomplishments.
A member of ALI for over 40 years, Professor Liebman was Director of the Institute from 1999 to 2014, and currently serves as an ALI council member. During the luncheon Judge Lynch encouraged the audience to watch the video tribute [see below] ALI produced when Professor Liebman stepped down as director.
Under his leadership, ALI produced and published new Restatements in the areas of agency, property, trusts, restitution and unjust enrichment, torts, and employment law. “The expert scholars he recruited to serve as reporters for these projects testified with virtual unanimity. . . to Lance’s judgment, acuity, and persistence in pushing these projects to completion,” Judge Lynch said.
- In this video, project Reporters Matthew Fletcher @MSULaw ( @ILPCTurtleTalk) and Kaighn Smith Jr. @DrummondWoodsum p… https://t.co/8yvxwpu24O@AmLawInstMay 22
- “Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation” brings together judges and court adm… https://t.co/TfpRlmYKcx@AmLawInstMay 21
- Coming soon to #ReasonablySpeaking – "Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation.… https://t.co/V94sWaem6L@AmLawInstMay 20
- Congratulations to ALI member A. Benjamin Spencer ( @PROFSPENCER) of @UVALaw on being named the new dean of… https://t.co/326BOQhgc6@AmLawInstMay 20
- . @DukeLaw@DeanKerryAbrams shares her thoughts on how students assisted in the switch to remote learning on… https://t.co/de6DRzlzYl@AmLawInstMay 20