In Memoriam: Raymond C. Fisher
Raymond C. Fisher of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit died on Saturday, Feb. 29. He was 80.
“Ray was a wonderful friend, who served his country in many ways and was courageous to the end,” said Chief Judge Emeritus and ALI Council Emeritus Mary M. Schroeder.
Judge Fisher was an active member of the Institute for over 30 years, most recently serving as an Adviser to Principles of the Law, Election Administration. A lifelong devotee to the law, Judge Fisher was nominated by President William J. Clinton and confirmed by the Senate on October 5, 1999. He received his judicial commission a week later.
Prior to joining the bench, Judge Fisher was an associate attorney general for the U.S. Department of Justice. Previously, he was president of the Los Angeles Police Commission from 1995 to 1997. Judge Fisher was deputy general counsel for the Independent Commission on the L.A. Police Department—the Christopher Commission—in the early 1990’s. He served as a member of the L.A. City Civil Service Commission from 1984 to 1989 and served as special assistant to Gov. Edmund G. Brown Jr. in 1975. He engaged in private practice in L.A. for three decades specializing in complex litigation, first at Tuttle & Taylor, and later at Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe.
Judge Fisher is remembered by friends, colleges, and the legal community at large for his extraordinary career and his tireless dedication to his family and community.
Read an obit from the U.S. Courts for the Ninth Circuit here.
- #FBF – In this video Reporter Henry Smith, along with Associate Reporters John Goldberg @Harvard_Law, Thomas Merril… https://t.co/es4ZEkiAE4@AmLawInstJul 10
- #FBF – In this video Reporter Henry Smith, along with Associate Reporters John Goldberg @Harvard_Law, Thomas Merril… https://t.co/1EW5BQR1OS@AmLawInstJul 10
- ALI member @NaomiCahn, an influential scholar in the field of family law, trusts and estates, and feminist jurispru… https://t.co/EHSmDfyIqz@AmLawInstJul 10
- #TBT to “Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation.” This episode brings togethe… https://t.co/ZAqjetKAWF@AmLawInstJul 9
- ALI members @ProfMMurray of @nyulaw, @UVALaw Dean @RisaGoluboff, & Judge Jenny Rivera of the New York State Court o… https://t.co/JupM2RlhLY@AmLawInstJul 8