Michael Baylson on Cross-Border Discovery
Michael M. Baylson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania coauthored an article with Sandra A. Jeskie for the Spring 2019 issue of Judicature.
“Overseas Obligations: Update on Cross-Border Discovery” provides updates in response to an article published in the Winter 2016 edition of Judicature which provided an overview of case law and approaches for handling cross-border discovery in litigation.
Since then, there have been some notable developments in several important case decisions and legislation that United States practitioners seeking overseas discovery, and judges ruling on these issues, must keep in mind. This article addresses the recent “Vitamin C” Supreme Court decision that establishes a new standard for the application of Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 44.1; the Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data (CLOUD) Act; recent case reliance on the Restatement (Third) of Foreign Relations Law; the impact of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on overseas discovery in U.S.-based litigation; and the work product of independent legal groups that provide helpful guidance.
Read the article and view the full issue here.
- ALI member Frank Sullivan Jr. of @IUMcKinney was interviewed in the February 2020 issue of The Judge’s Journal, a q… https://t.co/S04avA3HZc@AmLawInstFeb 27
- ALI member and Associate Reporter for the Policing Principles project @brandonlgarrett of @DukeLaw shares his thoug… https://t.co/tF55msZS5p@AmLawInstFeb 26
- Congratulations to ALI member Dayna Bowen Matthew of @UVALaw on being named the next dean of @gwlaw.… https://t.co/4kN8TkGtEe@AmLawInstFeb 25
- The D.C. Cir. cites Restatements Third and Fourth of U.S. Foreign Relations Law in United States v. Garcia Sota, a… https://t.co/ddxNpJRKfU@AmLawInstFeb 24
- . @ABFResearch has established the William C. Hubbard Law & Education Conference Endowment which will fund conferenc… https://t.co/kUdiMJOnXY@AmLawInstFeb 24