Omari Simmons Interview on the Simmons Memorial Foundation and New Book
Omari S. Simmons of Wake Forest University Law School was interviewed on WBOC 16 about his work as executive director of the Simmons Memorial Foundation (SMF), a nonprofit organization that aims to prepare “vulnerable students for college admission and nurture habits of mind that are essential for high achievement in diverse and complex learning communities.”
Professor Simmons also discussed his new book, Potential on the Periphery, which profiles the ways in which SMF “has helped students secure admission and succeed in college, using this example to contextualize the broader realm of existing education practice, academic theory, and public policy.”
The book uses data gleaned from interviews with past student participants to illuminate the underlying factors thwarting student achievement, while identifying policy solutions and pragmatic strategies that college access organizations can adopt to address them.
Watch the full interview here.
- An article for Law360 entitled “Risk Assessment Tools Are Not A Failed ‘Minority Report’” discusses the use of risk… https://t.co/Uvl8loyfUL@AmLawInstAug 16
- In the episode "Creating a Strong Corporate Compliance Program" on #ReasonablySpeaking Ivan Fong @3M and Lori Marti… https://t.co/QSNb5DmRDV@AmLawInstAug 15
- Congratulations to ALI member Judy Martinez @SPSR_Law, who will serve as the 2019-2020 @ABAesq President. Read mo… https://t.co/3WCNXKGS0W@AmLawInstAug 15
- The 5th Cir. recently overturned the Northern District of Texas with strong language supporting ICWA. Read more abo… https://t.co/kbAc2CaFXb@AmLawInstAug 15
- Listen now to “Protecting Children in Criminal Procedures” on #ReasonablySpeaking featuring Marsha Levick… https://t.co/3YaaPICf1Y@AmLawInstAug 14