William T. Coleman Jr.: The Annotated Bobblehead
The Green Bag has released a new bobblehead in honor of the late William (Bill) T. Coleman Jr. These bobbleheads honor notable features in legal history. Originally, the bobbleheads primarily presented U.S. Supreme Court Justices. Recently, The Green Bag began making bobbleheads honoring non-Justices — first Belva Ann Lockwood, then a young Thurgood Marshall, and now William T. Coleman.
Mr. Coleman left behind an amazing legacy. A senior partner and the Senior Counselor of the law firm of O’Melveny & Myers in its Washington, DC, office, he was a main architect of the legal strategy leading to Brown v. Board of Education and the desegregation of schools and other public facilities throughout the United States. For almost 70 years he played a leading role in the effort to give reality to the principle of equality under law.
Mr. Coleman was elected to ALI in 1963 and then its Council in 1969, taking Council Emeritus status in 2008. In 2000, the Institute presented him with the Henry J. Friendly Medal for his outstanding contributions to the law in the tradition of the late Judge Friendly and the Institute.
A full photo library of past bobbleheads can be viewed here. Prototypes of the bobblehead Justices (and samples of production versions) are archived at the Lillian Goldman Law Library at the Yale Law School.
- Make sure to check out what’s happened so far on Season 2 of #ReasonablySpeaking, including special episodes of “Co… https://t.co/8P7XrLkt4G@AmLawInstJul 3
- #TBT to Episode 1 of "Coping with COVID," a series produced jointly by @BolchJudicial of @DukeLaw. "How Courts Are… https://t.co/yRxyRs3uIj@AmLawInstJul 2
- ALI Council member Troy McKenzie of @nyulaw was recently honored with a Distinguished Teaching Award. Learn more:… https://t.co/dIH5sntHyp@AmLawInstJul 2
- Now Streaming on #ReasonablySpeaking: “The Plague of Excessive Force - Working Together to Find a Cure” featuring… https://t.co/FGmDlbwvPi@AmLawInstJul 1
- Read remarks from ALI members @ProfMMurray, @barryfriedman1, @eji_org Executive Director Bryan Stevenson,… https://t.co/WjYkz4CR9O@AmLawInstJul 1