Civil Justice Fest
The Law & Economics Center at Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University, recently hosted “Civil Justice Fest: A Month of Dialogues On the Most Pressing Civil Justice Issues.” The event was free and open to the public and included several panel discussions on contemporary civil justice topics. The event also featured a special panel on ALI, “Behind the Curtain at the American Law Institute (ALI): Drafting and Approving Restatements of Law at the ALI and Their Proper Weight in Judicial Decisionmaking,” which included Christopher E. Appel of Shook, Hardy & Bacon, Matthew L.M. Fletcher of Michigan State University College of Law, and Carolyn Kuhl of the Los Angeles County Superior Court as panelists.
From the event page:
The civil justice system in the United States is in a constant state of flux. Changes occur at both the state and federal levels, through both legislative and judicial actions. At the same time, judges face a constant barrage of new and innovative legal theories and procedural maneuvers.
The LEC’s Annual Judicial Symposium on Civil Justice Issues aims to help judges make sense of America’s rapidly changing civil justice environment.
Other participating ALI members included:
- John M. Barkett, Shook, Hardy & Bacon
- John H. Beisner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
- David L. Faigman, University of California Hastings College of Law
- Philip S. Goldberg, Shook, Hardy & Bacon
- Eric Goldman, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Betsy Grey, Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- Donald J. Kochan, George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School
- Timothy D. Lytton, Georgia State University College of Law
- Robert S. Peck, Center for Constitutional Litigation
- David J. Porter, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Daniel B. Rodriguez, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Victor E. Schwartz, Shook, Hardy & Bacon
View the full agenda here.
- David Marcus @UCLA_Law and Lauren Sudeall @GeorgiaStateLaw have been selected as Associate Reporters for Principles… https://t.co/giHnHf5Odn@AmLawInstJan 27
- Robert B. Ahdieh @TAMULawSchool has been named Vice President for Professional Schools and Programs at @TAMU.… https://t.co/MUXFFYxdVV@AmLawInstJan 26
- Michael S. Ariens @StMarys_Law has authored ‘The Lawyer's Conscience, A History of American Lawyer Ethics,’ a book… https://t.co/lYmso9MbDj@AmLawInstJan 25
- New on #ReasonablySpeaking: ALI President David F. Levi sits down with M. Margaret McKeown @US9thCircuit for a disc… https://t.co/alPdqw3KpL@AmLawInstJan 24
- 14 ALI members were honored at @TheAALS 2023 annual meeting with section awards for excellence in legal education.… https://t.co/HiRW9w4ClQ@AmLawInstJan 23