Guy-Uriel Charles to Join Harvard Law School
Guy-Uriel E. Charles, an expert in constitutional law, election law, campaign finance, redistricting, politics and race, will join the Harvard Law faculty as the inaugural Charles J. Ogletree, Jr. Professor of Law, effective July 1. He will also serve as faculty director of HLS’s Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice. He will teach Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Election Law, and Race and the Law and other courses and seminars in those areas.
Professor Charles joined the Duke Law faculty in 2009 and currently holds the Edward and Ellen Schwarzman Professorship of Law at Duke Law School, where he co-founded the Center on Law, Race and Politics. During the 2018–2019 academic year, Professor Charles was the Bennett Boskey Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, where he taught Civil Procedure, Race and Federalism, and Racial Justice and Law. He was awarded HLS’s Student Government Teaching and Advising Award, which recognizes both exemplary instruction and the ability of an instructor to inspire personal and intellectual development outside the classroom.
“I am very excited to join HLS,” said Professor Charles. “I look forward to becoming an integral part of this intellectual community and working with its tremendous faculty, students, and staff.”
Professor Charles received Duke Law School’s Distinguished Teaching Award in 2016. Prior to Duke, from 2000 to 2009, Charles taught at the University of Minnesota Law School, where he served as the Russell M. and Elizabeth M. Bennett Professor of Law and as the interim co-dean from 2006 to 2008.
Learn more here.
- #SCOTUS cites Restatement Second of Judgments in Pereida v. Wilkins, holding that “certain nonpermanent aliens seek… https://t.co/WQMK0pDtej@AmLawInstMar 5
- Written in collaboration with the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, ALI member @profamandatyler of @BerkeleyLaw has… https://t.co/0ESXqn5Llx@AmLawInstMar 4
- Learn more about our joint project with @ELI_Secretariat, Principles for a Data Economy, on the newly launched webs… https://t.co/qiRCkj6iCL@AmLawInstMar 4
- This Friday, March 5, the @bwln_nyu is hosting its 2021 symposium on Politics, Power, and Women’s Leadership. The e… https://t.co/ZiocMnsyC8@AmLawInstMar 4
- ALI member @brandonlgarrett of @DukeLaw has written “Autopsy of a Crime Lab: Exposing the Flaws in Forensics.” The… https://t.co/VD0Lq4LNUi@AmLawInstMar 3