In Memoriam: Kevin Duffy
Kevin Thomas Duffy, who served on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York for over 40 years, passed away on April 1. He was 87.
An ALI member since 1982, Judge Duffy earned his bachelor’s and law degrees from Fordham University. He was an assistant United States attorney in Manhattan and a lawyer in private practice.
On September 25, 1972, Duffy was nominated by President Richard Nixon to a seat on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York vacated by Judge Irving Ben Cooper. Judge Duffy was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 12, 1972, and received his commission on October 17, 1972. At that time, he became the youngest member of the federal judiciary. He retired from active service in September of 2016.
Judge Duffy oversaw a variety of high-profile cases over the course of his decades long career on the bench, perhaps most notably, he presided over the trial of the Islamic militants who were convicted in the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center.
He leaves behind a legacy of lifelong dedication to the rule of law and is remembered for his independent spirit and colorful personality.
Read his NYT obit here.
- #FBF – In this video Reporter Henry Smith, along with Associate Reporters John Goldberg @Harvard_Law, Thomas Merril… https://t.co/es4ZEkiAE4@AmLawInstJul 10
- #FBF – In this video Reporter Henry Smith, along with Associate Reporters John Goldberg @Harvard_Law, Thomas Merril… https://t.co/1EW5BQR1OS@AmLawInstJul 10
- ALI member @NaomiCahn, an influential scholar in the field of family law, trusts and estates, and feminist jurispru… https://t.co/EHSmDfyIqz@AmLawInstJul 10
- #TBT to “Coping with COVID: Administering Jury Trials, Mediations, Complex Litigation.” This episode brings togethe… https://t.co/ZAqjetKAWF@AmLawInstJul 9
- ALI members @ProfMMurray of @nyulaw, @UVALaw Dean @RisaGoluboff, & Judge Jenny Rivera of the New York State Court o… https://t.co/JupM2RlhLY@AmLawInstJul 8