From Police Reform to a New Public Safety Model
On Aug. 17, the Center for Policing Equity, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and UC Irvine School of Law are hosting a virtual event “From Police Reform to a New Public Safety Model.”
The event will feature discussion on a number of important topics relating to police reform and several ALI members participating as speakers including Barry Friedman of NYU School of Law, Sherrilyn Ifill, president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and Dean L. Song Richardson of UC Irvine School of Law.
From the event description:
With grave racial disparities in the COVID-19 pandemic and a global spotlight on race and policing in the United States, America’s civil unrest has reached new levels of mobilization. In its wake, calls have shifted from “reform the police” to “defund police” and “reimagine public safety.” As we welcome this shift in mindset, at this live-streamed event, legal scholars will seek to answer the question: “What are our best strategies toward redesigning, funding, and implementing a new public safety model?”
Learn more and register here.
- #SCOTUS cites Restatement Second of Judgments in Pereida v. Wilkins, holding that “certain nonpermanent aliens seek… https://t.co/WQMK0pDtej@AmLawInstMar 5
- Written in collaboration with the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, ALI member @profamandatyler of @BerkeleyLaw has… https://t.co/0ESXqn5Llx@AmLawInstMar 4
- Learn more about our joint project with @ELI_Secretariat, Principles for a Data Economy, on the newly launched webs… https://t.co/qiRCkj6iCL@AmLawInstMar 4
- This Friday, March 5, the @bwln_nyu is hosting its 2021 symposium on Politics, Power, and Women’s Leadership. The e… https://t.co/ZiocMnsyC8@AmLawInstMar 4
- ALI member @brandonlgarrett of @DukeLaw has written “Autopsy of a Crime Lab: Exposing the Flaws in Forensics.” The… https://t.co/VD0Lq4LNUi@AmLawInstMar 3