From Police Reform to a New Public Safety Model
On Aug. 17, the Center for Policing Equity, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and UC Irvine School of Law are hosting a virtual event “From Police Reform to a New Public Safety Model.”
The event will feature discussion on a number of important topics relating to police reform and several ALI members participating as speakers including Barry Friedman of NYU School of Law, Sherrilyn Ifill, president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and Dean L. Song Richardson of UC Irvine School of Law.
From the event description:
With grave racial disparities in the COVID-19 pandemic and a global spotlight on race and policing in the United States, America’s civil unrest has reached new levels of mobilization. In its wake, calls have shifted from “reform the police” to “defund police” and “reimagine public safety.” As we welcome this shift in mindset, at this live-streamed event, legal scholars will seek to answer the question: “What are our best strategies toward redesigning, funding, and implementing a new public safety model?”
Learn more and register here.
- The abstract for 'Improving (and Avoiding) Interstate Interpretive Encounters' is available on The ALI Adviser:… https://t.co/sHIq24JfoF@AmLawInstSep 29
- . @daniellecitron has authored ‘The Fight for Privacy, Protecting Dignity, Identity and Love in our Digital Age,’ di… https://t.co/5V0wlofT0P@AmLawInstSep 29
- Sarah S. Vance of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana is the recipient of the 2022 Edward… https://t.co/YyUx80mxZY@AmLawInstSep 28
- . @DebroahNArcher is the next director of @nyulaw’s Clinical and Advocacy Programs, effective January 2023.… https://t.co/2TQaEXlszu@AmLawInstSep 26
- Following her retirement from the @uscourts, U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, Margaret B Sey… https://t.co/FfZHzQAeyN@AmLawInstSep 22