The Supreme Court in American Life: Current Assessment and Looking Ahead
On Oct. 26, the Cosmos Club hosted an event which featured Paul L. Friedman of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and Thomas C. Goldstein of Goldstein & Russell in conversation on the Supreme Court of the United States. Judge Friedman and Mr. Goldstein, along with the other participants, discussed the Court’s members, influence, and future.
The Cosmos Club, incorporated in 1878, is a private social club for women and men distinguished in science, literature, the arts, a learned profession, or public service. The Club is noted for its camaraderie and atmosphere of warmth, dignity, and elegance.
From the event description:
The Supreme Court is constantly scrutinized, is frequently in the news and is regularly controversial. This has never been more true than in 2020. The pandemic has brought live audio streaming of oral arguments and questions posed by every justice – notably including Justice Clarence Thomas. The recent death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the Republicans’ efforts to confirm a replacement before the presidential election has heightened attention on the Court in an America that is deeply divided.
With that backdrop, the distinguished panel of Paul L. Friedman (’94), Catherine Stetson, Thomas Che Goldstein and Ruth Marcus, presenting different perspectives, will provide insights on the current state of the Supreme Court and what might lie ahead.
- Congratulations to ALI member Mary J. Davis, who this year became permanent dean of @ukcollegeoflaw, the first woma… https://t.co/7yMkQrzHPF@AmLawInstMay 7
- A feature in @NewYorker highlights @BryanAGarner’s love of and works on the English language. Select works from the… https://t.co/vLq0z4gPeK@AmLawInstMay 6
- ALI Council emeritus Margaret H. Marshall is featured in the first installment of the Achieving Gender Equity serie… https://t.co/EEdPcKIHj1@AmLawInstMay 5
- “Paving the Way” by the late Herma Hill Kay tells the story of the first female law professors in the US. Patricia… https://t.co/JtRx3ywLjW@AmLawInstMay 4
- The @americanacad announced its 2021 elected members, including ALI members @NathanLHecht, @BULawDean, @jim_sandman… https://t.co/9lRKFNb34X@AmLawInstMay 3