The Supreme Court in American Life: Current Assessment and Looking Ahead
On Oct. 26, the Cosmos Club hosted an event which featured Paul L. Friedman of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and Thomas C. Goldstein of Goldstein & Russell in conversation on the Supreme Court of the United States. Judge Friedman and Mr. Goldstein, along with the other participants, discussed the Court’s members, influence, and future.
The Cosmos Club, incorporated in 1878, is a private social club for women and men distinguished in science, literature, the arts, a learned profession, or public service. The Club is noted for its camaraderie and atmosphere of warmth, dignity, and elegance.
From the event description:
The Supreme Court is constantly scrutinized, is frequently in the news and is regularly controversial. This has never been more true than in 2020. The pandemic has brought live audio streaming of oral arguments and questions posed by every justice – notably including Justice Clarence Thomas. The recent death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the Republicans’ efforts to confirm a replacement before the presidential election has heightened attention on the Court in an America that is deeply divided.
With that backdrop, the distinguished panel of Paul L. Friedman (’94), Catherine Stetson, Thomas Che Goldstein and Ruth Marcus, presenting different perspectives, will provide insights on the current state of the Supreme Court and what might lie ahead.
- ALI member @DanielSolove of @gwlaw has written “The Eyemonger,” a newly illustrated children’s book that discusses… https://t.co/vX0iK1MoYK@AmLawInstJan 15
- #ICYMI – "The U.S. Presidency: Looking Forward," is now available on #ReasonablySpeaking. In this timely episode sc… https://t.co/jK7Q4mtF29@AmLawInstJan 15
- Now on #ReasonablySpeaking, "The U.S. Presidency: Looking Forward." From the new series, #BeyondCOVID, jointly prod… https://t.co/XeLJWgbWiS@AmLawInstJan 14
- Make sure to check out this special edition honoring ALI Council member Diane P. Wood of the U.S. Court of Appeals… https://t.co/0gs41NHlwC@AmLawInstJan 13
- ALI members Sherrilyn Ifill ( @Sifill_LDF) of @NAACP_LDF and Pamela S. Karlan ( @karlan_pam) of @StanfordLaw are amon… https://t.co/HuYOGqECf4@AmLawInstJan 12